Ethos and Vision
Our school ethos is to Nurture – Explore – Achieve because we believe that by nurturing the person, they will be in a position to explore the world around them and achieve their potential.
We do this by:
- Recognising that every child is unique and treating them as individuals.
- Nurturing everybody and providing what they need to be able to reach their academic and emotional potential.
- Using a restorative approach to behaviour to help develop understanding of our actions.
- Including children in decision making processes within our democratic school society.
- Providing an exciting ‘Explore’ curriculum which utilises the area in which we live and fosters inquisitive minds. This curriculum encourages collaborative learning as well as independence to develop lifelong learners.
- Providing a wide range of opportunities. We are a small school with big opportunities for all of our children.
- Having a fully inclusive school community with the opportunities for everybody to achieve.
Fernhurst Primary School aims to:
- To have a safe environment where all stakeholders can take risks and explore new ideas.
- To develop good citizens who are respectful, make a positive contribution to our diverse society and understand how to be good friends to others.
- To give everybody what they need to achieve their academic and emotional potential, working towards the highest possible standard and being the best they can be in all areas of life.
Our values fit firmly within our three school rules, helping every member of our school community to achieve their potential:
- Stay Safe
We explore key values of safety, considering the virtual world alongside the real world in which we live, encouraging all stakeholders to consider actions to enable them to take safe risks and maintain their physical and emotional safety.
- Be Respectful
We explore key values of respect, honesty and compassion. Through mutual respect between adults and children, we encourage discussion and understanding of the world and how to understand the impact of our actions.
- Always Try Your Best
We explore key values of resilience and perseverance to help our children consider how they can achieve their potential. We discuss the reasons that it is good to be challenged and how to develop strategies to help us achieve our best in all areas of life to develop lifelong learners.