Reception consists of children in their first year at Primary School. Squirrels is taught by Mrs Malt and is supported by Mrs Bell, Mrs Krzanik and Miss Brown. The classroom consists of an indoor area with two rooms and an outdoor area too. These areas are set up in a way which will encourage children to experiment, develop and progress in the following areas:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication and language
- Physical development (gross and fine motor)
- Understanding of the world
- Expressive arts and design
Exploration, experimentation and play are encouraged in Squirrels class and we aim to provide an environment where children are confident to be independent, take risks and also develop their social skills too.
Here are a few of the great things that we use/do in Squirrels class:
- Tapestry: an online programme where parents can view and contribute to their children’s learning journals.
- Dojo Points: An online website where children have their own ‘Dojo alien’ and are rewarded in the class for things such as tidying up.
- Talk for Writing (T4W): We will regularly be learning stories using T4W. This is a multi-sensory way of learning stories- children will be able to retell stories using actions and words along with a ‘story map’. This will support their development in many of the Early Years areas including: literacy and communication and language.
- Mud Kitchen: we have a new mud kitchen in our 'orchard' which the children enjoy exploring and learning in.
Autumn Term 2018
This is our first term in Squirrels class! We are excited about meeting and getting to know all the new faces from children to staff.
We will begin with our 1st topic 'Do you want to be friends?' This topic is based all around starting school and getting to know each other. We will aso begin to learn sounds and numbers.
Following this, our other topics for the Autumn term will be: Awesome Autumn, Who's That Trip Trapping Over My Bridge? and Jingle all the way.
Parents: Please keep your eyes on this page for updates including the curriculum overview and termly class newsletter that will be uploaded within the first few weeks of starting school.
Please find below links to useful documents on how to use Tapestry, our online learning journal.